Saturday, December 23, 2017

Martin Parr has launched his Foundation in Bristol


Martin Parr is the voice and eyes of British photography. He tends to polarise people, love his work, hate his work. And that's no bad thing. Whatever you think you can't ignore him. I like the fact that Martin calls himself a photographer and not an artist. This reflects his down to earth view of the photographic medium and his focussed support of documentary work. 


Martin and Harvey, Martin Parr Foundation, Bristol

When in Bristol in November I visited The Martin Parr Foundation and Martin gave me a guided tour. We were lured into having a picture made together. You can see that above. It's proof of the fact that the camera does lie, at least the iphone. I appear to be a dwarf besides Martin and that's not the case. At Paris Photo I mentioned this disparity to him. Martin said that, yes he was bigger than me. But he wouldn't go into detail. That brought to mind what my old father used to say - it's not the size that counts it's what you do with it! :-)

The Tate have just made a 7 minute video of The Martin Parr Foundation. It's well worth a look, you can do so HERE. And visit the MPF website HERE.

Below are some stills from the video. 








No comments: